Saturday, December 31, 2011

Fresh Take On An Old Challenge

For hundreds of years believers have been using some version of the Wesley Covenant Service to start out the new year.  It's a good time to take stock of where we are in our devotion and to resolve to order our lives in such a way as to reflect our convictions.  Too often we act like this world is of paramount importance, despite what we believe about the world to come.  Too often we take our orders from the world while calling Jesus Lord.
The first Wesley Covenant Service took place in  1755 and believers have been making use of it ever since.
This business of being double-minded makes our devotion an unpleasant chore and makes us unconvincing and tiresome to others.  So the covenant service is a good spiritual discipline and means of grace for those of us who would like to grow into our salvation.
We are going to do a version of the Covenant Service that will make the old words fresh.  You will receive a packet and will be directed to go through the contents of the packet in your pew as we progress through the covenant, with each step of the covenant requiring you to prayerfully take some action in your seat.
Believe me, there is no better way to start the new year than with a renewed resolve to grow into your salvation.
To prepare for the service consider meditating on 1 Peter 1:3-6, 8-9, 2:1-3.

2 comments:

Roxanna/Aunt Roxanna/Aunt Roxie said...

I wish I were close enough to be a part of this service. It looks like something that would bring new refreshment to my life. If I sent some money, is the packet something you could send me?

Joel Tom Tate said...

There's no need to send any money, Aunt Roxanna. I think I've got one packet left and if I can get my act together I'll get that sent to you soon. God bless you, by the way.