Thursday, October 07, 2010

Readings for Sunday, October 10

This Sunday I will be preaching on 2 Timothy 3:16-17: the word is useful for teaching, reproving, correcting, and training in righteousness. That's all very well and good to say that Scripture is useful for these things, and I believe it. But . . .
If I went into my neighbor's woodworking shop and he showed me his large collection of tools, assuring me that they were all useful for making beautiful kitchen tables I would certainly agree with him. But admitting their usefulness, picking them up and handling them, learning their names and which drawers they're to be found in - none of these things will get me any closer to having made a table.
So I hope to preach a highly applicable message, one that will give us all lots to do.

Call to Repentance
James 4:8 (page 1884)

Call to Worship
Psalm 34 (page 871)

OT Reading
Deuteronomy 6:1-9 (page 284)

NT Reading
James 1:19-25 (page 1881)

Message
Putting the Useful to Good Use
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (page 1855)

No comments: